Publication date: 15.11.21
Commitment to achieving Net Zero
Answer Digital is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2040.
Baseline Emissions Footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
Current Emissions Reporting
Emissions reduction targets
We are committed to becoming Net Zero by 2040 or sooner across all of our operations. In order to continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted a reduction target of at least 10% per annum year on year compared to our pre-pandemic emissions levels, increasing to 20% per annum from 2030, to be achieved in line with our Carbon Emission reductions strategy as further detailed in this plan.
We project that carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 28 tCO2e by 2026. This is a reduction of 47% compared to our baseline measure.
Carbon Reduction Projects
Carbon Reduction Initiatives
The following environmental management measures and projects have been implemented or are being implemented on an ongoing basis since the 2019 baseline and will continue to deliver reductions in our total emissions:
Business premises, staff and travel
- Working remotely where possible, promoting the use of alternatives such as video/phone conferences, travelling only when necessary. Since lockdown, our people have shown the same levels of productivity working remotely and the use of digital tools allows effective communication through projects.
- All internal servers have been migrated to the cloud, removing the need for a 24/7 air-conditioned server room.
- Creating local teams (permanent, contractors, suppliers) for on-site work to minimise travel.
- Our cycle to work scheme encourages employees to avoid car travel for work.
- Our green car incentive scheme encourages electric vehicles to be affordable leased (through salary sacrifice) for work and personal transport.
- Promoting use of public transport for company travel, favouring green transport where possible.
- Seeking to reduce energy waste, e.g. using energy efficient equipment and ‘turn off when not in use’ policy. Example: 2021, Answer has replaced all internal lighting with low energy LED lights.
- Answer is evaluating the viability of moving to a renewable power source for our office and is currently conducting feasibility assessments for both solar and air source power.
- Encouraging minimal use of printing, increased recycling and a elimination of single use plastics in offices, including providing staff reusable cups and water bottles (all staff issued water bottles).
- Facilitating volunteering opportunities for when staff are between projects, to support environment initiatives, agreeing a fixed number of days per year.
Use of technology
- Adopting a ‘sustainable by design’ approach to projects.
- IT Equipment meets Regulation No 106/2008 on energy-efficiency labelling programmes for office equipment and we typically purchase laptops over desktops (80% less energy). Device refresh is a 4-year cycle with devices being donated to charity or bought through employee purchase schemes.
- Re-issuing IT equipment wherever possible to reduce the purchase/disposal of end user devices, documenting the age at point of disposal with asset registers.
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
Answer has calculated its emissions in accordance with the relevant standards outlined above based upon data available at the point of calculation. In accordance with our Carbon Reduction Strategy additional data points will be collected in future and the process of measuring and reducing emissions refined and updated accordingly.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors (or equivalent management body).
Signed on behalf of the Supplier
Date: 16th November 2021